Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Apothecary's Daughter By Julie Klassen Review


The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen is the tale of Lillian Haswell, an apothecary's daughter who does not forget anything. She is also without her mother, because she ran away before the story begins. All her life, Lilly, as she is sometimes called, wants to see more of the world than her home of Bedsley Priors. One day she is given the chance to go to London where she can be in society. Yet, though she finally gets to see more, her old life is with her. When Lilly is needed back at home, will she return and stay at the place she has known most of her life, or will the frills of the world outside of Bedsley Priors draw her back?

My Review: This was a sweet tale, one of the best books I have read this year. The story was set in regency era England, a time period I have not read much in stories. It was amazing, and the characters were lovely. It has a sweet part to it since Lilly, though her brother is of a slow mind, still loves and cares for him. I cannot really remember anything specifically wrong with the book except I believe there was reference to drinking, card playing, and characters mentioning previously being unfaithful to marriage vows. For the age range, I am not quite certain. Since I am not sure, I wil recommend for ages sixteen and up.

(Note: I realize I just did a post for ages sixteen and up. Since I did, The good LORD willing, I hope to do one for the younger age group next time I review.)

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a wonderful story; I shall have to read it sometime! :)

    In Christ,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete